EWI is seeking a pro-bono Volunteer Coordinator
The Volunteer Coordinator plays a vital role by driving our volunteer management program and providing ongoing support to volunteers. They are the primary point of contact for all prospective and current volunteers, handling recruitment & selection, orientation & training, management & oversight, and relationship building between volunteers and EWI’s clients, staff, and board.
Recruitment & Selection of Volunteers
- Attend networking events to spread awareness of EWI’s mission and volunteer programs
- Develop position descriptions for volunteer roles*
- Manage postings and responses to job postings on various recruitment platforms
- Review all volunteer applications and interview potential candidates
- Plan for volunteer retention and replacement
- Develop policies and procedures*
Orientation, Training & Development
- Develop an orientation kit or volunteer handbook*
- Present or manage the orientation for all new volunteers*
- Provide training or demonstrations in use of specific tools as needed (or coordinate such training with applicable staff member supervisor)*
- Conduct performance reviews or evaluations with volunteers on a regular basis*
- Help volunteers feel welcome and supported
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards as needed (with staff member assistance and oversight)
- Update the volunteer database and records, including tracking of volunteer hours
- Communicate with EWI team regularly about their needs, to translate into volunteer plans and goals
- Collect feedback from volunteers (build and administer surveys and present results to EWI team and volunteers)
- Resolving conflict, with support from staff members
Rewards and recognition
- Send thank yous to volunteers
- Develop ways to recognise and reward volunteer efforts
- Manage volunteer communications such as newsletters or social media “shout-outs”
*with staff-member collaboration and oversight
- Volunteer management experience
- Strong written and spoken English
- Strong communication skills
- Networking experience
- Strong computer skills; experience in database use a plus
- Multi-cultural experience
- Strong intrapersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
Female candidates are strongly preferred. A 30+ or retired woman with a strong network, who can be physically present in Rockville, Alexandria, or Herndon 2 days per week. A person who values the strengths of individuals within a team, and can maintain patience, flexibility and adaptability in challenging situations.
Willing to work pro-bono.
The Volunteer Coordinator will report directly to the Operations Director, and will also work closely with the Program Managers and Executive Director.
LOCATION & AVAILABILITY:
The ideal candidate should be able to commit two days per week to EWI on-site in our Alexandria, Rockville, or Herndon locations (location may vary depending on the week). Some remote work is acceptable and expected. The position requires approximately 15 hours per week on average.
This will ideally be a one-year minimum commitment, with quarterly review of objectives and milestones
Creativity, innovation, entrepreneurial drive, integrity, respect for all and leadership skills are qualities we highly value at EWI. We work closely with you and empower you to use your own creative capital to excel in your work. We help you discover your talents, strengths and abilities that become the driving force in your project and for future employment and career development.
This position also provides:
- Inside experience with a dynamic and fast growing organization working on micro-enterprise development for women
- Access to multiple networks connected to entrepreneurship, workforce development, nonprofits, immigration
- Letter of recommendation upon request from the Chief Empowerment Officer of EWI
- Flexible schedule
CREATION & REVISION DATES:
This is a new position at EWI. Volunteer Coordination has historically been handled by the Executive Director, Operations Director and Program Managers.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Volunteer Coordinator Application,” and fill out our Volunteer Application Form here: http://goo.gl/forms/KBOWI49XdmTRGOrb2. We will contact you to schedule a meeting to discuss the opportunity within 10 days of receiving your application.