Entrepreneur Training for Success is an intensive three-month business start-up training program offered as a spring and fall semester, in Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, MD. The program delivers 60 hours of classroom entrepreneurship training for 10-15 women per class and launches in business 50-60 low-income women entrepreneurs/year.
Entrepreneurship Training for Success (ETS). It’s time. Embark on your journey of entrepreneurship with EWI!
Class Schedule September 30, 2015 to December 14, 2015, Mondays and Wednesdays, 6:30 p. m. to 9:00 p. m.
Location Nonprofit Village, 12320 Parklawn Dr., Rockville, MD 20852 (Twinbrook Metro, Red Line)
Students are highly motivated immigrant, refugee and low-income women who are selected in the program to launch businesses based on their talents, skills and experience.
“We are EWI” is a Pinkie Hugs production
Produced by Dicey Scroggins and Nneka Scroggins, Spring 2013 ETS Graduates
(c) 2013 Pinkie Hugs, LLC
Classes are taught by EWI instructors, trained through our Train-the-Trainer Program on EWI’s entrepreneurship training methodology. Each student in the program is paired with a mentor, who helps the student to develop the business plan.
Accomplished guest speakers, entrepreneurs, EWI alumni and business coaches work one-on-one with our students to build their businesses and their confidence.
Bankers from Capital One participate as financial mentors and provide financial literacy, pricing and budgeting forecasts. At the end of the program graduates present their business plans in a business pitch contest and receive feedback and cash prizes. Students from both semesters participate in an annual graduation event where they showcase their businesses and tell their stories.
Upon graduation from ETS, students have the opportunity to apply to the nine-month Grow My Business program and be part of EWI Alumni.
All graduates are required to contribute 20 hours of service/year by mentoring other student entrepreneurs and doing community outreach work.
Alumni have access year-round to EWI Business Development Services and participate with EWI in networking events, sales and other opportunities to grow their businesses and develop strong leadership skills.
Examples of micro-businesses launched by our entrepreneur graduates include cosmetology and beauty, food and catering, cleaning services, wellness and nutrition businesses, fashion apparel and accessories, music businesses, performance programs, photography, multimedia (film, design, web), fine art, crafts, community and after-school programs, and more!
To learn more, share your business idea and to check if you are eligible and ready for the Entrepreneur Training for Success program, please call 571-312-4781 or contact the Program Associate, Kim Booher at email@example.com.
To qualify for the Entrepreneur Training for Success program, you should…
- Have a viable, ready-to-market product or service or clearly defined business idea
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit, enthusiasm, and persistence
Students are required to…
- Attend all classes and complete a business plan at the end of the program
- Participate in online and offline training and mentoring program
- Have a good command of both written and spoken English
- Have basic computer skills for writing and online research
All graduates are required to give back 20 hours service within one year after the graduation.
Cost and Scholarships
The total cost of the program is $1,850 per participant and is largely covered by donations and grants. Because of this, EWI is able to offer some full and partial scholarships based on need.
Scholarships are awarded to eligible students who meet the low-income requirements as defined below, who have a viable business idea, are committed to follow EWI’s program and have a strong motivation to succeed.
Strong scholarship candidates
- Clear business or social venture idea
- Product or service ready for the market
- Energy, passion, and commitment to lead and succeed
- Ability and willingness to do home study, work independently and complete all assignments
- Capacity to build a business plan and develop a marketable product or service
- Availability to attend all classes, business boot camps, mentoring session, business pitch, and graduation
Apply for a Scholarship
A written essay is required of all scholarship candidates for consideration. In the essay, candidates must answer the following questions in no more than 2 pages:
- Why do you feel you need for a scholarship to the Entrepreneurship Training for Success program?
- What makes you a strong candidate to the ETS program?
- Why are you motivated to start your business at this time?
Due two days after the in-person interview.
To demonstrate low-income eligibility, applicants must provide proof of income during the interview in the form of tax returns, paystubs, unemployment benefits or other verifying documentation of their financial situation. Income level is based on gross yearly pay. When determining the course fee, EWI staff will take into consideration family size as well as other information pertaining to financial hardship (medical bills, outstanding debt, etc.).
To demonstrate low-income eligibility, applicants must provide proof on income during the interview in the form of tax returns, paystubs, unemployment benefits or other verifying documentation of their financial situation. Income level is based on gross yearly pay. When determining the course fee, EWI staff will take into consideration family size as well as other information pertaining to financial hardship (medical bills, outstanding debt, etc.).
Scholarship amounts are determined based on a sliding scale fee structure using HUD guidelines for household income and size, in the table below. The amounts listed in the chart are the amount that an applicant would have to pay not covered by a scholarship.
Scholarships are determined after the applicant’s in-person interview.
If you do not qualify under EWI’s low-income eligibility requirement but feel you would still benefit from our program, please apply and we will evaluate your need and contact you with our decision.
Apply for the Entrepreneur Training in Success (ETS) course
- Fill out the online EWI Program Inquiry Form.
- Complete your online application.
- Schedule and attend an in-person interview
- Bring proof of household income and materials that showcases your business idea
- Confirm your acceptance in the program, if selected
- Complete the EWI new member student intake form
- Pay the $100 base fee, which includes up to 12 sessions of 2.5 hour/session of in-person entrepreneurship training and mentoring support, and 8 sessions of online business financial education training of 1.5 hour/session; participation in Business Plan Pitch Contest and Graduation Reception and Business Showcase
- Attend Personal Financial Education Training – CAAB’s Money Management 101 program – free of charge five-module series made up of two-hour classes. Learn how to set financial goals and track expenses, budgeting and saving, credit and compound interest, and credit reports.
- Attend the Meet & Greet Session!