U.S. Census Bureau: http://factfinder.census.gov
- This is a great source for finding out social characteristics and demographic information about the people, and would be consumers, in the areas that you are interested in selling your work.
U.S. Department of Labor: Consumer Expenditure Report: http://www.bls.gov/cex/
- This source provides information on the buying habits of American consumers, including data on their expenditures, income, and consumer unit (families and single consumers) characteristics.
Claritas Market Segment Analysis: http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Default.jsp
- The Claritas marketing segment analysis provides an excellent source for discovering suitable market segments according to zip code.
Small Business Administration: http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/USSBA-3454a7
- This link gives advice for success and outreach for new women business owners.
Etsy.com: Seller Handbook
Export 911: www.export911.com
- This is a business and educational website focusing on international business. The site provides in-depth information on export-import marketing, management, letters of credit, export cargo insurance, shipping, logistics, manufacturing, purchasing, and bar codes.
US Customs and Border Patrol: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/
- This CPP is a great source that gives tips for new importers and exporters,including information about shipping requirements, documents, and licenses.
Small Business Opportunities
Small Business Reserve Program for Montgomery County: http://montgomerycountymd.gov/content/DGS/Dir/OBRC/LSBRP/index.html
- This link contains information pertaining to the reservation of small businesses in Montgomery County and how to seek aid for your business.
Prince business services: http://www.inc.com/guides/price-your-services.html
- This ink gives advice about how to price on service businesses and things to keep in mind when determining the cost such as competitor, value, and costs.
Pricing products: http://www.inc.com/guides/price-your-products.html
- This link discusses the basic concepts to understand when beginning the process of determining how to price your products.
Retail pricing strategies: http://retail.about.com/od/marketingsalespromotion/a/product_pricing.htm
- This link discusses the different pricing strategies retailers use such as mark-up pricing, vendor, keystone, and discount.
Art pricing: http://www.artbusiness.com/pricerealistic.html
- This link contains information about how to price artworks and to find out how much your art is worth.
Art pricing: http://www.artbusiness.com/pricepoints.html
- This link talks about the importance of having a consistent price for your artwork and how price affects your image as an artist.
- This links shows the 8 pricing strategies every artist should know.
Pricing on prints: http://www.theabundantartist.com/how-to-price-art-prints/
- This link discusses how to determine the value of creating prints for your art.
Incubators and Workspace
Incubators and work spaces in Washington DC: http://dslbd.dc.gov/DC/DSLBD/About+DSLBD/DSLBD+Publications/Incubators+and+Shared+Workspaces
- This link has locations available for incubator and workspace for new entrepreneurs.
- This link offers more information about incubators and the opportunities available for becoming part of a network.
Grey DC: http://www.greydc.com/about-1/
- This company organizes markets for food vendors to create a customer base.
Food chain: http://foodchaindc.com/kitchen-rental/
- This company offers rental commercial kitchen areas for companies who travel or cater to different locations.
A Grand Event: http://www.4agrandevent.com/kitchen-rentals
- Another company that offers rental commercial kitchens.
Culinary Incubator: http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php
- This link offers a directory for commercial kitchen rentals.
Directory of Kitchens: http://rentkitchens.net/directory-of-commercial-kitchens/
- Another link directory with several kitchen rental locations.
- Lists several more kitchen rental locations.